The Stock Market Game™ in Georgia
The fall 2016 trading session of the Stock Market Game™ begins
October 3 and ends December 9.
The spring 2017 trading session of the Stock Market Game™ begins
January 30 and ends April 2.
The 37th Annual Stock Market Game Awards Luncheon is May 2 at the Georgia Railroad Freight Depot in Atlanta.
About the Stock Market Game™
Economic education is about more than financial literacy. It's also about the larger economic forces that impact everyone's financial circumstances in the present and future. With equity markets as the model, the Stock Market Game™ is designed to give Georgia teachers a tool for showing students how scarcity, trade, opportunity cost, voluntary exchange, price incentive, specialization, productivity, and many other economic concepts play out in financial institutions they hear about in the news almost daily. Unlike real equity markets, the Stock Market Game™ offers students a safe and pain-free place to learn that the lessons of market economics can sometimes be costly.
To make the best use of the Stock Market Game as an educational tool in the classroom, GCEE requires all teachers to attend Stock Market Game Advisor Training. You can register for a workshop here.
If you teach in grades 5 to 12 and have already taken the Georgia Council on Economic Education's Stock Market Game Advisor Training workshop, you can register for the Stock Market Game here.
Other important things to know about the Stock Market Game:
- Teams are given a hypothetical portfolio of $100,000 that they invest over a 10-week period. The team from each public school district or independent school geographic region with the highest portfolio value at the end of the 10-week trading session wins.
- GCEE coordinates the Stock Market Game for the state of Georgia. The Stock Market Game is operated nationally by the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Foundation for Investor Education.
- There is a $7 registration fee for each team. Team registrations will be processed through SIFMA. Teachers will be emailed a password and team ID three weeks before the start of the program. After GCEE receives your registration information from SIFMA, you will be invoiced for the $7 team fee.
- For tips and tools on how to teach the program, assign grades as well as definitions and answers to your questions, use the links above.
- The program opens in another window when used so you can refer to this Web site while also visiting SIFMA's Stock Market Game Web site.
- The registration fee for non-teachers and others wishing to participate in the Stock Market Game is $20.
- Student teams that finish the ten-week trading session in first place in the state, their school district, or their region (in the case of independent schools) are invited to attend the annual Stock Market Game Awards Luncheon accompanied by their teachers.
And: THANK YOU to the generous sponsors of the Stock Market Game in Georgia, without whom this valuable learning opportunity would not be possible: